Saturday, March 19, 2011

seafood for thought

I'm a bit late on this one, but there's been a lot going on at So Hip It Hurts HQ this week as I prepare for my first trip to the UK this year.

The Human League, mighty masters of electronic pop, have lensed a vid for "Never Let Me Go", the second single from their forthcoming ninth longplayer, "Credo".



Surely, the video will win an award for best appearance of a mollusk in a music video.

Critics who have criticized the THL for the use of autotune in the chorus of this radio friendly gem, have missed the point. Phil Oakey and co. have always been about the sound of now without compromising their uncanny ability to fashion of cracking tune. After a few listens, I challenge you to escape the charms of this electro earworm.

3 comments:

  1. I love this song regardless of what criticisms have come--it's great! Nice to hear Suzanne singing something upbeat for a change, and I can't wait to get my CD proper. This will go down as one of the great collaborative comebacks of the past year in my book along with Duran Duran, Blancmange, Alphaville, and D:Ream. Hell, even Scritti Politti have a couple new tracks out. Do you think it's possible we'll get a new Suede record later in the year after all the remasters have been released?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say I LOVE this video too! BONKERS! It sure gets your attention though. And Joanne deserves credit for singing some as well. I thought it was all Suzanne on the recording, but now I see that is not the case. Really excited about having a physical CD to listen to soon (just heard the Duran in full as well--their best since Rio HANDS DOWN).

    Thanks for the vid tip. (By the way, the Alphaville release only contains the singer Marian Gold from the original lineup, but the new people do a really good job getting to the heart of what made that band great--anthemic, Teutonic dance rock at its best.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Video is really quite brilliant!! Made me think of some crazy Dr. Who'esque virus... To complain about synthpop LEGENDS using computer technology is just ludicrous...

    ReplyDelete