Saturday, January 9, 2010

from seventh to first in two years

The album sleeve for the forthcoming Goldfrapp album, "Head First", has been revealed. I wonder if it reflects some of the pastoral elements of their previous album, "Seventh Tree".

Perhaps we'll be in for more surprises from Will and Alison like the time everyone expected them to continue the high gloss, electro glam of "Supernature" and instead they took a sharp turn off the pulsating, electronic superhighway into a lush, ambient landscape influenced by Ennio Morricone cinematics and draped in warm, delicate, folk inspired sounds.

Expect to hear more soon. "Head First", their fifth longplayer, is scheduled to be released on March 22. It will be preceded by the single, "Rocket".

Gosh, that album cover looks awfully familiar. Where have I seen it before?

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! The truth hurts doesn't it?

    I still think of "Seventh Tree" as a "new album" in my collection. My take is, if I haven't been listening to it for 30 years, then it's "new." By that reckoning, "Raw Like Sushi" (just listened to it on Thursday) is another "new album!" I still need "Black Cherry" for my Goldfrapp section of my racks, if you can believe that. Of course, "Felt Mountain" has that awe inspiring Associates-slash-John Barry vibe that I love so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great spotting the Air Supply influence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @countpopula - I thought I recognized that sleeve. It looks a little like a Bonnie Tyler album cover, too. The giant blonde head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sad part is, the Air Supply cover is a lot more artistic, but I just know that if they had Photoshop® back in 1981, they would have gone for it!

    ReplyDelete