Friday, August 13, 2010

these stained glass wings could only take you so far



With only a few months before a-ha sail into the Norwegian sunset, they finally unveil the video for their final single, "Butterfly, Butterfly (The Last Hurrah)". The clip was directed by Steve Barron who lensed the groundbreaking video for "Take On Me" and set a-ha on a course toward success.



The video is rather unassuming until you get toward the end. Not sure what it is about the three men embracing, but I found myself getting all goosebumpy. Very touching. At that moment, the emotion swells and the final animation takes it over the top.

At first, I really didn't like the shots of previous videos woven into it, but it all makes sense by the end. I much prefer the pencil graphic images from "Take On Me" that appear on the columns holding up the highway. It's a more subtle touch. Of course, the highway overpass imagery mirrors the cover art from their last studio album, "Foot Of The Mountain. It all ties up nicely, kittens.

"Butterfly, Butterfly (The Last Hurrah)" is from "25", a-ha's recently released, career spanning hits collection.

5 comments:

  1. So aha turn into butterflies and fly away!?

    Not sure about the song, but I like the video. I was hoping for some man kissing between the longing glances at the end. Now it's never to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWIW, I didn't find it unassuming at all. Even before the end, I was so pleasantly shocked that a band that age (and that un-Botoxed) would allow a video treatment with so many tight close-ups. It's actually somewhat revolutionary, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @esque - I guess what I meant is that it's a very low key video. Nothing flashy. But I have to agree with you on the close-ups. They are ruggedly handsome. Glad they didn't nip and tuck. Of course, the treatment used on the video enhances the lines in their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To a-ha,

    Thank you for the wonderful music. You have been overlooked for years. The music you have created in the past 15 years is better than anything on the radio today. It is a shame that you have never been able to UNRING the Take On Me bell. You are so much better than Take On Me.

    Thank you Paul, Mags, and Morten. I finally got to see you in Chicago after waiting 20+ years. It was more than I expected. Thank you.

    I will treasure your music.

    ReplyDelete