Thursday, November 12, 2009

no ordinary HoJo

It's no secret. I have always adored Howard Jones. I think he is a brilliant, optimistic, insightful songwriter. Many of his songs have endured the 25 years since his debut, "Human's Lib".

His latest longplayer, "Ordinary Heroes", is a more acoustic affair compared to the electronic soundscapes featured on his previous album, "Revolution Of The Heart". I've been assured by HoJo's management that he is planning to return to his synthy roots very shortly.

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to "Ordinary Heroes", as I just received my copy a day or two ago. I opted to purchase the limited edition configuration as it promised to be lavishly packaged.

And HoJo delivered on that promise! It would make any Pet Shop Boys fan drool. As soon as my schedule allows, I will snap a few photos of it and post them. Each of the album's ten tracks are represented by a different, brightly colored 5" X 5" square card with the title embossed on one side and the lyrics on the other. There are a total of 14 cards with the four, additional squares comprising the cover, credits, names of all the fans who purchased the limited edition set, and the one that holds the CD. All of it is held together by a thick, red rubberband. It's a stunner!

Unfortunately, if you didn't plonk down your cash for the limited edition set, you're out of luck. All 1,000 copies sold out at Howard Jones' website almost immediately.

Here's the video for "Soon You'll Go", the tender, emotive, first single from the album. It's sure to give you goosebumps and put a little lump in your throat. Or maybe I'm just a big softy.

1 comment:

  1. wow. definitely not something you'd expect from him at all. luvit!

    i've seen him live a couple of times and is a great performer. one memory that stands out is when he played the original 930 club in washington, dc during the early-mid 90's. it was a sold out show in this (lovingly) small, dirty, and dingy club known mostly for it's hardcore rock shows. i've never been in a place with so many HAPPY tattooed and pierced punk rawk(!)ers singing and dancing along ever in my life! lol.

    ReplyDelete