Tuesday, November 24, 2009

next year's love

It has been ten years since Sade released her last, studio album, "Lovers Rock".

Six albums in 25 years is hardly what I would call prolific. But something new from Sade is always heralded as an event much like the return of a comet. So, let the countdown to February 8, 2010 begin. That's the release date for "Soldier Of Love", Sade's forthcoming longplayer.

As much as I love the more languid moments, I'd really love to hear one of those slinky, funked out numbers Sade pulls out every now and then like "Never As Good As The First Time" or "Sweetest Taboo".



1 comment:

  1. Funny. I was all over the New Wave of British Jazz Pop (you heard it here first: NWOBJP). You know, the usual suspects: Everything But The Girl, Black, Swing Out Sister, Basia/Matt Bianco, Danny Wilson, Carmel. That seemed to be the foothold I needed in the mid-80s when the UK postpunk train ran out of steam and all of the groups I loved from the late 70s and early 80s began sucking wind big time, if they were still together (Duran, Simple Minds, Ultravox, OMD, Spandau Ballet - need I continue in this vein...). But Sade was never in my collection. Her tunes and delivery just left me cold, with the exception of the subtly torrid "Sweetest Taboo." Now that was a hot little samba! If her oeuvre had been more in that vein I could have believed. As it stands, her occasional albums mean little to me.

    ReplyDelete