Sunday, December 26, 2010

retro nuevo electronica tributata

The end of the year always throws up a few little surprises. Foreshadowing of the year to follow.

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark will continue their rise from the ashes with the release of the third single from their current longplayer, "History Of Modern". "History Of Modern (Part I)" will carry the torch for the elpee as Paul Humphries and Andy McCluskey continue to tour Europe and make their first visit to the US for promotional duties.

Recently, a rough mix of their cover of "VCR" - originally recorded by flavor of the moment and media darlings, The xx - made its way to the interwebs. Let's take a listen.



Nicely done! Not too much different from the original. That makes sense since anyone with ears can hear OMD's influence on The xx. It even sounds a bit like "Heroes" by David Bowie.

Let's hope they make the wise decision to add a little fairy dust to this and put the final mix of it on the b-side of the CD single and digital download of "History Of Modern (Part I)". In fact, how about adding parts III and IV to it, as well, lads? Right now, those tracks are just sitting on the flipside of the 7" single of their most recent single, "Sister Marie Says". You can pay me in cash for that little bit of marketing genius. Large notes, please. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Coeur sacré! If you had not told us that this was a cover, I never could have imagined that it was not an OMD song! Those are pure OMD chord progressions for sure! Man! I think my wife has mentioned The xx to me as a possible band to investigate but there's so many things that occupy my mind, I forgot to check them out. Heck, I'm so busy it took me almost three days to listen to this and comment! I'd better make tracks to The xx website, like pronto!

    ReplyDelete